Saturday, January 29, 2011

How To Waste a Gallon of Milk

During my trip to Milwaukee, I decided to try my hand at latte art.

(Yes, I just linked to Wikipedia. Don't judge. You know you use it, too.)

Daniel works at an Alterra coffee shop in Milwaukee and is learning how to make latte art. Here's one of his mocha creations...


...be still, my heart.

I wanna learn! So learn I did.

We used a gallon of milk, some old espresso beans, and Daniel's new Presso espresso maker.


My first attempt? A major fail.


I think I'll call this "blobby-bent-spoon-thing."

Just let me tell you now that I am a perfectionist, and I don't like trying something new and failing. I was determined to make something pretty. I think Daniel was amused by my eagerness to keep trying!

Attempt number two:


Sigh...more blobbiness. (I just decided that's a word.)

I turned to the internet for a little help and watched this video about ten times in a row.



Attempt number three was a little better...


...a blobby heart.

I watched the video a few more times, put my game face on, and moved on to attempt number four...


...SUCCESS!

Isn't it pretty? :)

Daniel can tell you that there was much squealing and jumping up and down after I made this one.

(I did try one more after this, but let's just say I should have stopped while I was ahead.)

Here's one of Daniel's from the night:


:)


p.s. More on the yarn shop later...I know you guys want to hear about it!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I need to crank my espresso machine back up and try some latte art one day!! :)

Mindy said...

Good work! I'm very impressed!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You've got some skillz, lady! :)

(Also, thanks for recommending your blog! This is Stephanie, by the way, haha.)

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

How cool! That would definitely be fun to try, but I'm not sure I'd be any good at it. ;)